|03. bis 30.08.2020||Motimaru 1month Butoh Workshop & Performance Creation|
|at DOCK 11 and EDEN|
|im DOCK 11 Saal3|
Motimaru 1month Butoh Workshop & Performance Creation
- Dates: 3rd August - 30th August 2020, Mon.-Fri. 9:00 -15:00 + 29th & 30th August final performance as a part of a performance series "Mirrors"
- Venue: Dock11 & Eden
(Kastanienallee 79, 10435 / Breite Strasse 43, 13187)
- Fee: 1180euro/ 1080euro if registered before 30th June / 980euro if registered before 31st May
(In case of participating only the first 2weeks: 600euro / 550euro if registered before 30th June / 500euro if registered before 31st May)
"Everything & Nothing - metamorphosing body-mind -"
One day can be an intensity of one month,
One week can be an intensity of one year,
One month can be an intensity of one life...
Diving deep in the body-mind, letting all the joys and sorrows flow, transforming them into universal poems
Beyond dance, towards the evolution of existence
100,000 years ago, when Homo sapiens emerged on this planet, the first human art has emerged in the dark cave, where eyes cannot see. What they were seeing with the inner eyes is the depth of our unconscious. Times change, but this must be a fundamental principle of human art.
Our everyday life passes, eating, working, or dancing, within a limited cage, burying rich nature within us. Educations, traditions, or even learning dance could mold various forms of cages. Free improvisation could also end up struggling in the same cage. But when we observe forests carefully, so many varieties of forms and qualities of plants, flowers, stones, winds, and sounds astonish us. This workshop is an invitation for diving into the unknown forest of our body-mind, discovering unlimited movements and textures within us, and transforming the personal journey into universal poem.
There will be also talking and video screening of direct fieldwork researches on butoh and traditional and ritual dances of Bali, south India, Tibet, and Japan.
* The workshop is addressed to professional performers and artists from any discipline as well as non professionals, whoever is interested in the principles of body-mind-space that lies behind any kind of creations.
First two weeks: Basic trainings
Last two weeks: Creation of solo/group performances.
① Whitening (Returning to a neutral body-mind)
- Yoga Asana
② Basic movements (Discovering the maximum intensity of small simple movements)
- Standing and sinking
- Falling and re-standing
- Creation of body parts (hands, eyes, back, arms, legs)
③ Metamorphose (Discovering the unlimited diversity of different qualities of the body-mind-space)
③-1 Physical Level
- Different textures of body
③-2 Meta-physical Level
- Embodying visual images (paintings, video arts, natural elements)
- Embodying sounds
④ Creating a performance (Discovering how to transform personal journey into universal poem on the stage)
- Duo/group play
- Inner process of building solo/group performances (materials and scores)
- Time (continuity, flow, discontinuity, suspension...)
- Minimal and maximal polarities
- Relationship with music, objects, and costumes
- Coming into the space, disappearing from the space
- Composition and structured improvisation
Motimaru is a dance company founded in Tokyo by Motoya Kondo and Tiziana Longo, based in Berlin since 2010. After they trained for 5 years at the Kazuo Ohno Dance Studio, studying and working as dancers and assistants of Yoshito Ohno – a son of Kazuo Ohno, they left Japan and have started fieldwork research about traditional and ritual dances in Japan, India, Bali, and Tibetan area in Nepal.
Motimaru define dance as a way to experience deeper reality of our existence and are experimenting to create a new authentic dance method beyond any genre.
They performed in the finale of the Marathon of the Unexpected at Venezia Biennale 2010, the final of the 9th International Choreography Competition “No Ballet” 2014, Luckytrimmer2016, etc. and have been performing and teaching in Europe, Asia, Australia in over 35 cities.